The Fonds de recherche du Québec (FRQ) and Québec’s Chief Scientist are launching the new ENGAGEMENT pilot program aimed at individuals who do not pursue professional scientific research activities but are recognized for their experiential knowledge to support their active and meaningful participation in research projects.
The initiative has three objectives:
- Support the generation of scientific knowledge through active citizen participation
- Promote innovative research in Québec through the emergence of new research practices
- Contribute to scientific literacy in Québec and Quebecers’ interest in science
“With ENGAGEMENT, we seek to explore more collaborative forms of research with citizens to get them involved in a number of steps in the research process,” affirmed Rémi Quirion, chief scientist. The program was designed to integrate the many types of citizen science, including action-research, collaborative research, living labs and the co-construction of knowledge.
ENGAGEMENT will fund five projects in all research sectors, each in an amount of up to $50 000/year for two years through the additional credits granted to the FRQ under Québec’s 2017–2022 Research and Innovation Strategy. The program is in keeping with the Science and Society direction on the FRQ’s 2018–2022 strategic plans.
For further details, see the ENGAGEMENT program rules (in French; English version soon to come) on the websites of the Fonds de recherche (FRQS, FRQNT, FRQSC). Application forms will be available online in late August.
More information on the FRQ’s vision for citizen engagement in research is available in the program framework (in French)
- Availability of e-forms: late August 2019
- Official launch and information meeting: September 13, 2019
- Step 1 – submission of letters of intent: October 15, 2019, 4 p.m.
- Step 2 – submission of applications: February 13, 2020, 4 p.m.
- Announcement of the results: April/May 2020
Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies
Telephone: 418 643-3439
Senior Adviser – Science and Society Relations
Office of the Chief Scientist
Fonds de recherche du Québec
Telephone: 514 873-2114, ext. 1284