The mandates of the Chief Scientist of Québec are:
- To advise the ministre de l’Économie et de l’Innovation on matters pertaining to the development of research and science in Québec;
- To foster the excellence, position and influence of Québec research in Canada and internationally, especially through partnership development;
- To chair the boards of directors of each of the three Québec research Funds, and coordinate issues of common concern and the development of cross-sectoral research;
- To administer the human, material, financial and information resources of the three Funds;
- To promote careers in research and scientific culture.