The responsible conduct of research
The Policy for the Responsible Conduct of Research describes the responsible conduct of research as:
“(…) the behaviour expected of the various actors targeted by the Policy in the conduct of research activities. This expected behaviour is based on values such as honesty, reliability and rigour, objectivity, fairness and independence, justice (especially in recognizing the contributions of others), trust, accountability and benevolence, openness and transparency.” (FRQ. Policy for the Responsible Conduct of Research . 2014; p. 11)
Does the responsible conduct of research apply to me?
The responsible conduct of research applies to all individuals who contribute to the development of knowledge through research. It describes the behaviour expected of all researchers, students, research personnel and fund managers while carrying out research activities. Research excellence rests on the responsible conduct of research. Integrity in research is therefore attracting increasing attention, both nationally and internationally.
What are my responsibilities with respect to the responsible conduct of research?
- I stay informed and contribute to developing best practices for responsible conduct of research and for my own research activities;
- I continually reflect on my research activities to adopt responsible research practices;
- I ensure the responsible and ethical use of public funds;
- I cooperate with any procedure undertaken to manage an allegation of research misconduct;
- I am proactive in remedying any consequences of a breach of responsible conduct of research.
The responsibilities of institutions with respect to the responsible conduct of research!
- FONDS DE RECHERCHE DU QUÉBEC. Policy for the Responsible Conduct of Research, 2014.
- COUNCIL OF CANADIAN ACADEMIES. Honesty, Accountability and Trust: Fostering Research Integrity in Canada, Expert Panel on Research Integrity Report, 2010,
SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES RESEARCH COUNCIL, NATURAL SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING RESEARCH COUNCIL OF CANADA and CANADIAN INSTITUTES OF HEALTH RESEARCH, Tri-Agency Framework: Responsible Conduct of Research, 2011.
Published: October 7, 2015