The mandates of the Chief Scientist of Québec are:
- To advise the Minister of Economy, Science and Innovation on matters pertaining to the development of research and science;
- To chair the Boards of Directors of each of the three research funds;
- To coordinate issues of common concern to the three funds and cross-sectoral research activities;
- To ensure the consolidation and integration of the three research funds’ administrative activities;
- To promote careers in research and scientific culture.